Freedom | Free to Forgive
Free to Forgive
John 8:32 NLT
And you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
Why we don’t forgive
- We don’t understand forgiveness.
Forgiveness – a decision to release a person from the obligation that resulted when they wronged you. (No blanks here)
- Forgiveness is not minimizing the offense.
- Forgiveness is not forgetting what happened.
- Forgiveness is not reconciliation.
Romans 12:18 NIV
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
- Repentance – turning from old actions
- Restitution – making things right if possible
- Rebuilding Trust – proving themselves consistent in words and actions.
- We don’t think forgiveness is fair.
Matthew 18:21-22 NLT
Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?” 22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!”
Ephesians 4:31-32 NLT
Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
- We don’t think we can forgive.
Jeremiah 31:34 NIV
For I will forgive their wickedness and remember their sins no more.
2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
Romans 5:6 NLT
When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.